Friday, April 4, 2014

Wonderful Writing Thoughts


Happy Friday!  I wanted to share with you some quick thoughts I have about writing!

As we all know, writing is a way to express your thoughts, whether it be through a story, article, poem, book, note, blog, text message, etc.  Often times, it seems like students struggle getting those "thoughts" down on paper.  I can't blame them.  It's hard to find the right word(s) to use and especially hard when there are restraints put on you as a writer.

This year, I am teaching 6th grade language arts for the first time ever!  It's been quite the eye opener for me as an educator and I believe my craftsmanship of teaching has really benefitted from the challenges.  My learning curve has really been uphill for most of the year.  Now that our school year is coming to a close in 7 short weeks, I feel like I finally am grasping the art of writing instruction.

Where am I on teaching writing?  Well....

Writing is a process (a transition).  It's a connection made between the writer and the reader.  It gives voice to something that would otherwise be silent.  Writers want to spark emotion in their reader and they can only do so if they take risks, which means making mistakes.  Giving students the permission to make mistakes allow for growth to happen.  As the process of writing unfolds it's messy but well worth the time and energy.

All students bring to the classroom a different viewpoint on writing.  Some love it.  Others can't stand to pick up a pencil.  I never liked writing as a student, so I can understand the frustration some students feel when they are asked to write something.  This is why I make sure to not only say but to show my students why the written language is so important.

Each and every day my students write whether it's a free write to build fluency or it's a short informational text article to recap what they read.  Either way, they are given the opportunity to practice this skills that need time, energy and elbow grease to master.  Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment