Monday, April 14, 2014

Choice...Who Loves It?

As I entered my classroom today I thought to myself, it's Monday, the kids will be tired, unmotivated to work and excited to have a four day week.  Was I wrong?  YEP!   Every single one of my 6th graders were eager to work on their Biography Narratives.    Some even asked as they entered the room, "Are we spending the entire LA Class on our outline or rough draft?"

Quickly, I told them, "Yes, but we needed to  write down this week's quote of the week, respond to it, share it and then talk a little about revising our work. "

A group of students asked if we could skip all that so that they could get to reading about their person and take notes.  Normally, I would say yes to them and allow them the entire class time  but today we needed to discuss the weekly quote as it ties in to our read aloud.  So, instead I shorten the share out part and let them continue their work on their narratives.

As I put up my student conference sheet, I thought to myself, "Wow, these students really want to work on this project."  Then, I looked around the room and all 30 of them had their noses in their books reading, taking notes and engaged.

At this point of the year, I think most students are done with school (As with lots of teachers...thank goodness for summer break).  But, not these kids.  It's not that they are all eager learners or that I have some special touch.  It's the fact I gave them CHOICE.  I allowed for them to pick whomever they wanted to research about, decide what's important about that person and how to relay that new information to the class.

All year long I have done that.  I give my students CHOICE.  Choice on what they read, what they write and how they share their new learnings.  I don't dictate any of that and I truly believe by giving students this freedom, they are more motivated learners.  Today proved my theory.   So, if ever your students are checked out...bring them back by giving them some choice (i.e. control) and see where it takes their learning.  I bet far!


2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I think we (teachers) try to control our classrooms too much. I have been guilty of it. Now, I try to let my students have as many choices as possible. Our teacher evaluations even have a component that emphasizes student choice. Great post!

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. McClain- Thanks for your post! I am such a believer in choice...it really makes a HUGE difference in my classroom! I will be posting more about it in blog! I hope you follow me so that we can share ideas!

    ReplyDelete